The fabrics I used were leftovers from this skirt which I made way back in 2008. I haven't worn that skirt in ages as it's not really my style anymore, but still have it around somewhere. I saved the remnants because I loved the fabrics so much and had just enough to eek out this dress! (Although I did have to piece the ruffles a bit in the back.)
|This face cracks me up!|
I love ruffles on little girl's dresses but gosh! - they are SO MUCH WORK! Hem the bottom edge, finish the top edge, two rows of gathering stitch, pin it just right and stitch times four! I'm sure I will do ruffles again, though, they are so adorable on a little girl. (Just maybe not the next thing I make for her.)
I used white thread throughout, which I really like against the black. The neckline and arms are finished with self bias binding.
The back has a slit with a button & loop closure. It's a snug fit to get her arms through but fits loosely once it's on.
These fabrics held up really well. I sent Justin outside with the camera after church on Sunday, and she'd had it on for at least 3 hours by that point without much wrinkling. Didn't he do an awesome job on the photography?! Much better then my last attempt. I think he will be my new baby photographer.
The patten calls for a fabric loop but those are always a pain for me and I much prefer a thread loop.
For the inner skirt I used some white muslin I had on hand. I was making this dress from fabric fumes, and it never shows from the outside. I made french seams for the sides and shoulders. You can see a double row of stitching at the top of each ruffle - one to sew it to the inner skirt and the other to tack the top of the SA down.
I am not in love with the rest of the pieces from this pattern, but you may see the dress again in a year or two when she grows out of this one. And how fun to have a designer make a line for toddlers! I hope they release some more in the future.