When this pattern came out in the spring of last year, it had my name written all over it. I love fitted jackets, interesting construction lines and piping. The fabric is one of those front and back reverse weave cotton/poly jacquards, purchased from JoAnn's. I have several of these types of fabrics and was pleased to have a fun design to make one up in. The orange piping is regular Wright's brand piping bought at any fabric store. I originally wanted a brighter orange, but wasn't willing to go to the effort of making my own with this carrot color readily available.
This pattern is drafted extremely short through the waist. I made a muslin (proud of me?) and had to add 1.5 inches to the lengthen/shorten here line! And I'm short waisted! I also added .75 inches to the now new waistline for a total addition of 3 inches at the waist. I do have a square body but that is way more then what I usually have to add. This is not an easy pattern to make because of all the miles of piping and those super tight square turns in front.
I'm sweating through my camisole in these pictures. Besides the heat wave, this is not something I'll wear during the summer. It looks horrible unclasped so is better suited for cooler weather. I'm thinking early spring with these bright colors. It would also look better with a white skirt, not that I have one at the moment. I really need to make myself some basics.
I love the piped cuffs at the sleeves.
Here's a close-up of the neckline:
The lining is some kind of linen look polyester purchased at Hancock's. I wanted an orange that matched the piping and this is the only one they had. Usually I use something slippery for a lining but this doesn't have to slide on and off over an under layer. Although it does add a bit more bulk then I was anticipating.
I've had the sewing on this jacket completed for a week and have been slowly attaching these silly hooks and eyes. There are 16 of those suckers! First I started out with the larger coat hooks and eyes, but those allowed some skin to show through. Of course I did not notice the gapage until after I had them all sewn down. I am D-O-N-E with making something that needs hooks and eyes for at least 6 months!
I love it - but - won't be making another. One is enough for my closet (and sanity!) The boys have made their yearly pilgrimage to my in-laws and will be gone a week. I am hoping to get a ton of sewing in amongst other non-fun chores (the budget - blah!) More coming soon!