Holy cow, I haven't made anything from Burda magazine for a really long time! (I'm not mad at them, just have been busy with other patterns.) When I first signed up for a subscription 3 years ago, I had heard that their pants designs were the most like RTW, and I was really excited to try a pair. And then I
Enter this tunic, which has been unworn and hanging in my closet for over a year. I could not figure out what to wear it with. Not pants, not a skirt, not the mid-thigh white shorts I already own, not capris. It's a problem of proportion. I have a long torso but short legs, and have just discovered that shorts look best on me if they're on the short side - makes me appear taller. But not too short, I do prefer to be modest. And no vertical pockets please, those always jut out and make my hips look bigger. Hmmm, kind of a tall order to find at a department store. I suppose I'll have to break down and make my own.
I know they're kind of hiding under the tunic so here are some close ups for you:Pretty rockin' fit, right? I traced the 38 and added 1/2" to all the side seams. Then I made a muslin. (It's my new thing. Makes sewing so much more fun and I don't waste fabric or rip out seams.) It actually fit without any fiddling. So I guess what I heard about Burda was true, they have well fitting pants and shorts. I left off the pockets - vertical side pockets are not my favorite - and made the view with the darts in front and not pleats. The hemline is somewhere between A and B with a 2.5" inseam.
The fabric is a medium weight cotton purchased recently from Denverfabrics.com. For the waistband facing, I used a cotton/poly blend broadcloth fused with interfacing to cut down on bulk. I also discovered that my machine makes a stitch similar to an overlock stitch. I accidentally spilled the remains of my frappachino on these shorts right as I was finishing them up, so they've already been through the washer/dryer and had minimal fraying. I'll be using this newly discovered stitch to finish off garments from now on.
I used the same cotton/poly broadcloth to make hemline facings. On the muslin the hem puckered because it was smaller in circumference then the shorts. I was going to flare it out a bit to eliminate the problem but then thought I'd try this method instead in order to reduce bulk through the thighs.