Wow! It has been three weeks since I've posted anything. I wish I had something really special to show you, but unfortunately I've not had the best luck lately. The dress I was making for the Celtic Women concert had some problems and I ended up wearing this dress instead. Then I thought I could whip out a little little refashion of a RTW skirt that was too tight in the waist, but botched that as well. I finally got some pictures of this top I finished a week or so ago. The first photo shoot was yesterday but I realized I had red lipstick on my teeth so had to retake them. Whew! Anyway, here's the pattern picture. I have made this design before using a different view.
I made this top because I was sad about first the dress and then the skirt not working out, and I wanted to have something new to wear to church last Sunday. It was to match this skirt, but as is fairly often the case with sewing, I did not like the them paired together after the top was completed. Actually, this outfit looks more fall then summer to me. At least it turned out and didn't become another failure.
This fabric is a thin polyester floral purchased from JoAnn's a few months ago. I liked the pop of blue leaves amongst the gray and have also recently discovered that I can wear brown toned tans.
The sleeve treatment is what makes this top special. I made an small through the shoulders, graded in to the XS through the torso and out to the medium at the hips. But see on the side view how the neckline is drooping out? This SO bothers me. I really need to figure out how to finish a neckline with clear elastic. Next time I will make the XS all over and take out a bit at the center front fold during cut out as it is very wide at the shoulders too.
I used the bias tape finish for the neckline and even went back to cinch it in more in order to eliminate the drooping. Didn't work, though.
I didn't get a picture of it but I used clear elastic and a zig-zag stitch to make the sleeve gathers. The hems were done with a twin needle and walking foot. Oh, and I used french seams for all seams except the sleeve/armhole.
I do like the pattern and want to remake it using a solid color. I may even make the long sleeve version for winter.