Lots of people have made this simple little dress with great results, so I thought I'd follow suit.
This fabric is a stretch sateen, as Jo-Ann's calls it. I originally bought it for a pair of capris but have since decided I don't like prints on my butt except in skirt form. I just love the yellow and red color combo.
I love the back neckline of this. Red piping was added for a little something extra on a plain design and also to match the red linen jacket I just completed. Plus it ties in with one of my favorite pair of shoes.
Here it is with the jacket. My anniversary is on Wednesday and I think this will be perfect for a casual dinner out.
Here's a few inside details. I did my usual french seams at the shoulders and dress sides. Bias tape covers the facings, back seam and waist seam.
This is the side under the arm opening. I simply folded the fabric back following the stitching of the cap sleeves.
This was so easy and fast to sew. I kept looking it over thinking this didn't take long, have I made some mistakes? Am I sure there's no fit issues? Well, this was suppose to be my second garment for the mini-wardrobe contest at Patternreview.com. I was on my third item, skirt 101A from the April issue of BWOF. Here is the line drawing for it:
This is a fabulous pattern. I really love it. I do not, however, love my fabric choice. I should have chose a navy twill or stretch twill, but instead picked this cheap polyester stretch suiting that is a tad on the thin side. I cannot get a crisp hemline and I do not like the way it hangs. It looks cheap. I don't have time to go buy more fabric, wash it, cut it out, and sew it up along with the matching blouse. Too much is going on around here this month. Here is a picture of the skirt:
I will make this skirt again, maybe when we get home from vacation. Now I am off to the mall for a little shopping with my mother. Happy mothers day to you all!